Validity

Validity of the Style Analysis, TTI's DISC Instrument

A large body of research has supported the reliability and validity of the Style Analysis and the DISC dimensions. This research has provided evidence of:

  • High test-retest reliability (the stability of test scores over time)
  • Strong Construct Validity (the relationship of the Style Analysis to other tests measuring similar constructs)
  • Robust Content Validity (how well the DISC dimensions measure what they are supposed to measure)
  • Significant Criterion or Predictive Validity (the ability of the DISC dimensions to predict performance on another activity)
  • Powerful Construct Validity (the extent to which the DISC dimensions measure a specific trait).

A full Style Analysis Validity Study is available on request.

A Note on Validity

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) has never been internationally recognised as being particularly accurate. It is based on Carl Jung's desired work to measure "deviant behaviour", and places responses into 16 categories that are valid for only 54% of the population – the other 46% of all responses are assigned to the "nearest category".  By comparison, the Success Insights Style Analysis instrument was developed in the late 1960's and has never been challenged in court.  It has a validity rate of between 88% and 91% based on a study conducted by Dr. Russell J. Watson of Wheaton College in March of 1989, and an earlier study of the Personal Profile System conducted in 1983 by Dr. Sylvan J. Kaplan.

The Style Analysis instrument is deceptively simple, asking respondents to choose what they are "most" and "least" like from 24 different boxes. Yet some 19,630 different graphs can be plotted from the 24 "most" words; and 19,680 different graphs from the "least" responses. For practical evaluation purposes, these are condensed into one of 384 different graphs, hence the very high validity rate.